When people complain that a pool smells like it has too much chlorine, the problem could be too much Total Chlorine (TC) and not enough Free Available Chlorine (FAC).
If you've added sanitizer or shock and still can't get a reading, or your favorite swim suit shows signs of bleaching, the problem may be too much Free Available Chlorine (FAC).
- For high Total Chlorine (TC): Shock treat the pool using an hth® shock product. For additional help, contact one of our hth® pool care experts.
- For high Free Available Chlorine (FAC): Stop adding chlorine. Allow the FAC levels to decrease to 1-4 ppm. For additional help contact one of our hth® pool care experts.
- Verify pool volume and use the correct product dosage.
- Test FAC and maintain 1-4 ppm.
- Shock treat the pool weekly and after heavy rains or heavy bather loads.