Having trouble seeing the bottom of the pool because your pool water is too cloudy? Cloudiness is small particles in the water that are not removed by filtration or oxidation. The most common causes of cloudy water are poor filtration and/or circulation, buildup of organic contaminants, algae growth, high pH, high Total Alkalinity (TA), or a combination of these.
Poor Filtration: Check filter operation and clean filter with hth® filter cleaner per label directions. Circulate the water at least 8 hours per day.
High pH or TA: Use hth® pH decreaser to lower pH and/or TA back to the recommended ranges.
Organic contaminants or early algae growth:
- Test the pH of the water.
- Adjust the pH into the range of 7.2-7.4 using either hth® pH increaser or hth® pH decreaser. Wait at least one hour.
- Shock treat the pool with an hth® shock product.
- Shock treat the pool weekly.
- Maintain TA in the range of 60 - 120 ppm.
- Maintain pH in the range of 7.2 - 7.8.
- Check and clean filter twice a year.