Pool & Spa Green Tips
Helping the environment while enjoying your pool or spa.
- Make chlorine last longer. Add chlorine or bromine in the evenings. If your spa is outdoors and is not stabilized, the ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun can destroy chlorine in as little as three hours. By adding stabilizer to your spa you are extending the life of the chlorine. Also, adding chlorine products at night is more beneficial for the longevity of your chlorine.
- Cover your spa. A cover can help trap heat and minimize evaporation. It can decrease heat loss by as much as 90 percent and increase the temperature of your spa water by 10 degrees, saving both water and energy.
- Heat your spa with solar energy. By using a solar energy system (instead of an electric spa heater), spa owners are able to heat their spas with natural renewable energy that has very low carbon emissions.
- Reduce energy consumption. Circulate water using a timer to run the pump eight hours a day when not in use.
- Reduce waste by recycling containers. hth® Products are contained in plastic pails, bottles and even bags. These containers are recyclable, but they must be rinsed two to three times before being delivered to your local recycling location. Our suggestion - rinse these containers in your spa, eliminating waste water.
Don't think we are leaving all the work for you! Here are just a few ways that we have helped the earth by doing our part:
Reduce - Since 2008, we have saved over 12,000 trees by reducing corrugate use in our packaging.
Reuse - We reuse materials at our manufacturing plants as well as use recycled paper in our pool and spa care guides, when available.
Recycle - We've implemented recycling programs at manufacturing plants and offices to reduce solid waste output.
What's in store for the future? We are continually looking for ways to further reduce our carbon footprint by offering concentrated products, reduced packaging and working to lower energy use in the manufacturing of our products.